- Pack your belongings for ease in handling. Use trunks, suitcases, and sealed cartons, which can be moved easily and quickly. Avoid bringing loose belongings.
- Remember to bring with you, rather than ship, the items you’ll need during the first few weeks of school. Shipped items may not be immediately available.
- Every box should have your full name and address clearly labeled and securely affixed to at least two sides on the outside of the box. Put your name and address on the inside of the box as well.
- If your shipment consists of more than one box, number them “1 of 4,” “2 of 4,” “3 of 4,” etc.
- Pack electronic equipment and other fragile items in the manufacturer’s original container and padding. If this is not possible, make certain to pack each item separately and protect all sides with at least two inches of protective padding.
- Do not ship any packages weighing more than 50 pounds or which have a combined length and girth of more than 130 inches.
- Make certain to employ a reputable shipping agent, insure all your packages, and use a shipping method that provides package tracking. In the event that a package is not received on time, searching by tracking number is the only way to locate your shipments.
- Remember, the insurance and shipment of your package(s) is an arrangement agreed upon by you and your shipping agent. Columbia University and its agents maintain no responsibility in these areas.
Weather Conditions and Seasonal Clothing
For those of you who are not from the northeastern United States, we have also provided a short description of weather conditions in New York City and suggested clothing for each season (see chart below). Please be aware, however, that New York weather often varies from year to year.
|Early Fall||Warm to hot||Shorts, t-shirts, summer shoes|
|Late Fall||Cool||Lightweight sweaters, fleece, jackets, jeans, long-sleeved shirts|
Very cold and wet with freezing
rain and snow
|Rain gear, boots, gloves, winter jacket or oversized jacket with lightweight lining that allows for layering|
Variable - Rainy and cool to
sunny and warm
|Early and late fall clothing is suitable in the spring as well|
Things to Bring / Things Not to Bring
30 Days Before Registration
Submit proof of MMR immunity at least 30 days before class registration.*
Certify your meningitis vaccination decision online before class registration.
*If admitted less than 30 days before registration, your ability to register will be on hold until your MMR documentation is received and processed.
2 Weeks Before Your School Orientation
Submit a photo online for your University ID card. You will be able to pick up your card when you arrive on campus.