Welcome, New Students
Congratulations on your acceptance to Columbia University! As a new student, you need to fulfill several requirements prior to your arrival.
This website is a guide to planning for completing your requirements in order to avoid potential penalties and registration delays. We look forward to seeing you soon.
Important Things to Do
- First, activate your Columbia UNI (your computing account) and then check your University email account.
- To help you with the following activities, we recommend logging in to the interactive New Student Checklist.
- Complete the measles, mumps, and rubella immunization documentation and submit it to Columbia Health by mail or fax at least 30 days before registering for classes.
- Record your meningococcal meningitis vaccination decision online before registering for classes.
- Choose one of three insurance options: confirm your enrollment in the Columbia Student Health Insurance Gold Plan, upgrade your selection to the Platinum Plan, or request a waiver. Do so online before February 15 (New Spring Tern students only) or before June 15 (New Summer Term students only).
Health Insurance Action
- Domestic Students - Choose one of three insurance options: confirm your enrollment in the Columbia Student Health Insurance Gold Plan, upgrade your selection to the Platinum Plan, or request a waiver. Do so online before February 15.
- International Students - Navigating the US Health Care System can be complex. To help ensure that international students have access to the highest quality of care on- and off-campus Columbia University requires all international students to enroll in the Columbia Student Health Insurance Plan. Confirm your enrollment in the Columbia Student Health Insurance Gold Plan or upgrade your selection to the Platinum Plan,
- Review Dining options if you want to select a Plan, or purchase Dining Dollars or add funds to Flex through your SSOL account.
- Upload a photo for your University ID card.
Student Financial Services
- Review your Student Account Statement online. Your first Billing statement will be available through Student Services Online (SSOL) beginning December 12, 2016 if you have completed your spring course registration. You will receive an alert at your Columbia email address indicating that it is available. Ensure that your payment is received by Friday, January 27 to avoid a late payment charge.
30 Days Before Registration
Submit proof of MMR immunity at least 30 days before class registration.*
Certify your meningitis vaccination decision online before class registration.
*If admitted less than 30 days before registration, your ability to register will be on hold until your MMR documentation is received and processed.
2 Weeks Before Your School Orientation
Submit a photo online for your University ID card. You will be able to pick up your card when you arrive on campus.