Enroll in or Waive Columbia Student Health Insurance
Columbia Health is an integrated department that provides extensive health care and services for you while you are at the University. The coverage provided by Columbia Health and a comparable insurance plan work together to meet your health care needs.
Domestic Students - To meet the insurance requirement, students MUST confirm their enrollment in the Columbia Student Health Insurance Gold Plan, upgrade to the Platinum Plan, or provide proof of comparable coverage that meets the University requirements.
International Students - Navigating the US Health Care System can be complex. To help ensure that international students have access to the highest quality of care on- and off-campus Columbia University requires all international students to enroll in the Columbia Student Health Insurance Plan.
Our team wants to confirm you have good coverage so that health needs and concerns, including unanticipated health care costs, are not a barrier to the achievement of your personal and academic goals. Here are a few key reasons to enroll in the Columbia Student Health Insurance Plan:
- No co-pays for on-campus medical and mental health services
- Plan optimized to the needs of students
- Global coverage for routine, urgent, and emergency care
- Dental service discounts
- Premiums billed to your student account (no upfront payments)
- Onsite insurance team to provide support (John Jay, 3rd Floor)
Please visit our website for detailed information about the plans.
All new and continuing students are required by the University to have quality health insurance. Be sure you take action on one of the three options below before February 15 to ensure coverage and avoid unintended fees.
Option 1 - Confirm enrollment in the Gold plan
Option 2 - Upgrade to the Platinum plan
Option 3 - Request a waiver from the plan (Domestic Students only)
This provides a summary of Columbia Health and the Columbia Student Health Insurance Plan. More complete information is available at health.columbia.edu.
New Spring Term Students
All full-time domestic and all international students (including returning students) must:
- Confirm her/his insurance selection.
All part-time domestic students (including returning students) must:
- Submit voluntary enrollment for her/his insurance selection to be on the Columbia Student Health Insurance Plan.
All new students must also:
- Submit your signed Measles, Mumps, and Rubella Form to the Immunization Compliance Office 30 days before you register for classes.
- Certify your meningitis vaccination decision before you register for classes.
Understanding Columbia Health Insurance
30 Days Before Registration
Submit proof of MMR immunity at least 30 days before class registration.*
Certify your meningitis vaccination decision online before class registration.
*If admitted less than 30 days before registration, your ability to register will be on hold until your MMR documentation is received and processed.
2 Weeks Before Your School Orientation
Submit a photo online for your University ID card. You will be able to pick up your card when you arrive on campus.